Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Most of Officer Casebolt's Actions Were Justified

After reviewing several other videos and speaking to several colleagues, I have now come to realize that some of my previous interpretations were inaccurate.  This post will serve to correct my initial comments as well as explain why I believe that some of Officer Casebolt's actions were not only justified, but necessary.

First, in my previous post, I stated that I did not see anything in the video that would cause me to draw my weapon.  I have now watched this video numerous times, as well as several others.  What I did not notice at first was the actions of the two young men that ran up behind Officer Casebolt when he was dealing with the young female.  At first, Officer Casebolt is dealing with gaining compliance from a physically noncompliant female.  A group of females then approach him yelling and screaming.  Mind you, this group did not just casually walk up to him.  Instead, they approach very quickly in what could be considered an aggressive fashion.  Officer Casebolt then pushes them away, while still trying to hold on to the original female.  As that is happening, two young men approach Officer Casebolt from behind.  One of the males immediately reaches behind his back.  From the view that Officer Casebolt has, he can not see that the male is pulling up his shorts.  All he can see is his hand behind his back.  Officer's safety and training teach us that a person with a knife in their hand has the upper hand when he or she is within approximately 25 feet.  These two young men are basically within 2 feet.  Officer Casebolt, correctly and immediately, drew his side arm to deal with a perceived threat.  As the men run away, two other officers approach.  They then take off after the two that ran off.

Secondly, most media and social media outlets are reporting that one of those officers tried to calm down Officer Casebolt immediately prior to running after the two young men.  I disagree.  We can't hear if there is even a verbal exchange between the two officers.  It looks to me as if the officer literally bumps into Officer Casebolt.  Officer Casebolt points and the officer runs off.  Officer Casebolt then returns to dealing with the original female.

Thirdly, Officer Casebolt obviously knows this young girl poses no threat to his physical wellbeing.  This is most likely why he immediately holstered his weapon and went back to dealing with her.

Finally, after reviewing all of the video evidence I have seen, there is no way for me to ascertain what was on Officer Casebolt's mind when he was dealing with this crowd.  Many have said his actions were racially motivated.  Because he resigned, he is now no longer going to be forced to answer questions from the McKinney Police Department.  As a result, the only way we may ever know what was going on in his mind would be if he were to go to trial.

Now, I have been considering what possible charges Officer Casebolt could face as a result of his actions against the young female.  I am not an attorney and this is not in any way a suggestion that Officer Casebolt even be charged.  However, I could foresee him possibly facing charges under the Texas Penal code for either Official Oppression or Violating the Civil Rights of a Person in Custody.  It is under Chapter 39.03 and 39.04 of the Texas Penal Code.

That is my take on all of this.


1 comment:

  1. It's always interesting to hear a former officer's perspective.

    ReplyDelete