It didn't take President Obama long to politicize the horrific and tragic shooting in South Carolina. During his remarks this morning prior to leaving for Los Angeles, he stated that mass killings like that one don't happen in other countries. He is clearly wrong.
Mass killings have been around since the dawn of time. Keeping legal weapons out of citizens hands is not the answer. The answer is to ensure that guns are in the right hands at the right times. This shooting could have been altered significantly had there been an armed person in the church. Unfortunately, we will never know.
I am not an advocate of providing weapons to everyone. Those with mental disorders, felony convictions, or drug/alcohol addictions should never be armed. The laws already prohibit those folks from legally possessing firearms.
Gun control will not keep people from illegally possessing firearms. But, when a person believes they will meet armed resistance if they attempt to shoot up a location, I would bet they will not attack. These mass shootings have happened only in places where people are less likely to carry firearms.
The motive for this particular shooting may not be known for a while. It's way too early to make any assumptions about what the shooter's intent, mental state, or motive was. We can all speculate, but we don't know yet. I just think it's way too soon and irresponsible of the President for politicizing this incident within 24 hours of the incident.
I agree Roger
ReplyDeleteI agree Roger.
ReplyDeleteVery well stated. I agree. The POTUS spoke without having all of the facts.
ReplyDelete